Friday, August 12, 2011

How do you...?

People ask about the trip, naturally, but I don't know how to describe it. What do you say? Long? Tiring? Ridiculous?

I've noticed a shift in the past couple of days in how everything just feels. We were used to getting up and riding almost everyday. We always had that one thing to do. And then we also had to figure out a route, figure out where we were going to sleep, eat, find water, find bathrooms (yesterday I caught myself making a note of the nearest port-o-potty), check in with each other if we weren't riding together, see if it was snack time, calculate miles, and just try to keep each other's spirits up. Now, I'm packing up my old place, moving in to a new place, writing a sermon, answering emails and phone calls, interviewing for a second job, and visiting friends. It's pretty great, but it's ... different. Shock.

It was also odd to finish the trip apart from my riding buddy. If you do a trip like this with someone, I recommend finishing the trip with that person. I think it makes the ending better. But Ashley and I finished strong into New Haven!

Back to boxes... more profundity later.

3 comments: